Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Says Who?



Having met Nicky Kinnaird many years ago, I know her to be a very smart woman building a terrific business founded on deep personal beliefs and thus I'm willing to accept the statement as true.

But I was a bit bemused to see this in the window of a Space NK store. Does the attribution make it more credible? The stores are the physical incarnation of her philosophy - so those who know what NK stands for will not need to be convinced while others will wonder who Nicky Kinnaird is.

It seems to me to be a form of celebrity endorsement in the eyes of her marketers, but does it weaken the advice? After all, she's not Japanese. Wouldn't modest anonymity be more in line with the slow organic growth of the business? Or does it just jar with me because I'm someone who knows the story rather than a potential customer?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ted Schwab said...

I know nothing about the business, and I have to say that it does sell effectively to me. I notice that she does use the qualifier "too often" to avoid offending. Although she's not Japanese persay, does that mean she doesn't know about Japanese culture? I don't think that the inclusion of a reference to Japan weakens the advice, but I could be wrong.

8:36 PM, November 14, 2011  
Blogger john dodds said...

Thanks for your feedback Ted. I think it shows that one's relationship with the business always shapes how one views an execution.

And just to be clear, I had no problem with the Japanese reference, my query was why she had to append her name to the comment. I question whether it adds anything - especially as it's on her eponymous shop and one can assume it's speaking for her.

12:34 PM, November 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home