Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Honey Trap.

In answering the question "When is a pot of honey ever worth £10?" a recent newspaper article pointed out that specialty honeys are effectively single malts and that you could buy a two pound jar of Caribbean mango honey in London for £42.95.

In discussing how he spends his multi million pound salary, the CEO of a big supermarket chain commented that "If I spend money, it's generally to buy back time with my family."

Perhaps irrationally, I conflated these two pieces of reading and wondered, even if £10 honey is superior, how long does it remain remarkable (especially in comparison to arguably priceless entities such as time with your family)? Does the consumer ever come to the realisation that a downshifting in their buying behaviours (as opposed to their career behaviours) can increase their total Benthamite utility?

I think there are signs that this could be happening and shall highlight one tomorrow, but as a starting point I'll leave you with my favourite T shirt slogan of recent sighting which struck me as having great resonance for marketers. It read "It's only kinky the first time."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've often pondered the cost of tea in China. To contemplate what one would pay for honey is interesting, to say the least. I guess it would be determined on how sweet the nectar, the quality of the bee and how far from home it must be transported.
On a serious note.... I enjoyed reading this. - J -

12:05 PM, July 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home