Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Cultivating Indifference?

The wonderful Chuck Klosterman turns out to be a computer games fanatic. In an interview about this piece on games' analysis, he asks

"So when does something become a critical element of the zeitgeist? It's when people who barely care are interested. It's when you can move beyond the person who is actively involved in the game."

That seems as good a definition as any of the difference between niche and mainstream acceptance and the crux of the matter is whether you want to deal with customers who "barely care".

5 Comments:

Blogger Robert@iScatterlings.com said...

Well I still 'barely care' because I wanted to read the article you linked to but, (yes I know I am a sad bunny), the manner (white type on gray background in Gamespot site with bright flashy bits) it was presented drove me away. I could not focus. Seriously.

10:27 AM, December 09, 2006  
Blogger john dodds said...

Just for you - I've changed the link to the article from which the visually annoying article followed.

11:17 AM, December 09, 2006  
Blogger Robert@iScatterlings.com said...

Now sir, this is what I call unparralled service from a marketer. And despite the sincere surprise and delight, it is much appreciated.

I shall read on and revert if it annoys me further.

Toodledoo!

11:42 AM, December 11, 2006  
Blogger Robert@iScatterlings.com said...

Where is Matthew Stibbe when you need him? Off piloting his plane to exotic Birmingham International or Croydon Aerodrome no doubt!

He was in the Video games field so should be a good one to review and comment.

As for me - well I am hooked onall things Half Life and benchmark all games by it. So I do care now.

A result!

11:47 AM, December 11, 2006  
Blogger Jane said...

There are indeed videogame critics, if you by critics, CK means Pauline Kael types who write passionately and intelligently about individual games, taking the medium seriously and dissecting games for their art or lack thereof. See Ian Bogost's new book Unit Operations: An Approach to Videogame Criticism.

10:15 AM, December 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home