Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Performance Marketing.


Attention. Interest. Desire. Action. The goals of one famous marketing pathology. And the goals of any performer too.

I've already written about the marketing parallels of the way comedians end their shows, but attending a recent show by Sunset Rubdown reminded me how all our marketing should aim to mirror a live performance. It must be audience-grabbing, exhilarating, pacy and memorable. It's a one-off chance to impress and you have to perform.

Stealing a page from the Springsteen playbook, Sunset Rubdown started their show with three songs uninterrupted with a panache and utter confidence that had the audience eating out of their hand and me rather impressed. But then they paused to swap instruments and roles and the momentum was lost. This was repeated throughout the set and seemed to me to lose the majority of the audience and diminish their reaction.

I've since disagreed with some fans about but realise they are akin to the early adopters - and thus willing to put up with flaws because of their passionate devotion. But the majority are not so loyal and pacing is something that has to be addressed. They are a great band but, for me, they didn't recognise that live performance is a different medium and requires different techniques.

I'll return to this in more detail later, but if your marketing doesn't have the energy and focus of a great performance, you won't be getting the ovation you seek.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Charles Sipe said...

I like the parallel of marketing with a live performance. I think the Apple Mac vs PC ads really embody this because they remind me of a stand up act. It also reminds me of how representatives of your company all always "on stage" when they are interacting with customers. Southwest Airlines reportedly requires their employees to tell a joke in the interview, which helps Southwest find employees who are good live performers.

11:28 PM, September 27, 2009  
Blogger john dodds said...

Thanks Charles - I am going to write more about it.

2:06 AM, October 01, 2009  
Blogger john dodds said...

The actual requirement for employees to perform is an added element I hadn't focussed on. Would be worried that it became too muh of a performance and not authentic, but better that than surly indifference.

2:08 AM, October 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home