Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Saturday, August 07, 2010

App Infatuation.

Briitsh Gas have an iPhone app. They told me so in a press ad. It will show how my consumption has changed year on year, quarter by quarter.

That's interesting information, but I don't need an app for it. I can see it on my provider's bill already - at a time when I'm more likely to be thinking about the issue and where they already have my attention.

Just because you can have an app, it doesn't mean you need one or that your customers' experience will be enhanced by having one.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Dan Thornton said...

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but I have to admit things like electronic bills and documents are always really useful for me due to the fact I never seem to have the right documents with me when I need to check something...

So having consumption information, ideally with some link to ways to reduce my bills and contact numbers, is actually pretty handy for me...

4:30 AM, August 11, 2010  
Blogger john dodds said...

Agreed - my point is that this already exists or can exist on your online bill. You don't need an app specifically for it and not all your customers will use iphones anyway.

7:04 AM, August 11, 2010  
Blogger Eaon Pritchard said...

I would argue that it's another service touchpoint which, should it match my preference, I can use it.
Or not, as in the case of your good self.

8:36 PM, August 12, 2010  
Blogger john dodds said...

Perhaps Eaon but I want better not more touchpoints. Have an app but make it more than a me too of what you deliver elsewhere.

3:20 AM, August 13, 2010  
Blogger john dodds said...

I guess I was just irritated by their advertising something that struck me as underwhelming. Only shout about stuff that's worth shouting about.

3:22 AM, August 13, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home