Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Why Would I Care?

I came across this link on Scoble's site. While it gives good advice to corporate podcasters, advice which is applicable to any marketing communication, my immediate reaction is why would I care?

Even if Starbucks had taken the advice, would I really want to listen to tales of satisfied customers? I suppose I can see a justification in terms of the often neglected aspect of internal marketing but what benefit would accrue to me the potential customer?

A better crafted podcast is all well and good, but if your audience isn't inclined to partake then your extra effort has been wasted. Just as you need remarkable products and services to cut through the abundance in which we live, you also need to apply marketing logic to your marketing efforts.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interviewing happy customers would make for a boring podcast, I agree.

However, that's not my suggestion at all. My point is that Starbucks would've been more successful had they focused on the customer experience.

As to how they can do this and still make their podcast interesting, I go for $150/hr :)

3:54 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger john dodds said...

Leesa, I agreed with everything you wrote in your podcasting guide/critique. Your ideas, as perhaps I didn't stress explicitly enough in my post, would have improved the quality and impact considerably - hence your $ rate!

No. My issue with podcasts is that in an era of reduced attentions spans (leading to shorter ads) and oversupply of all sorts of leisure time content, there has to be an extremely compelling argument for a customer to listen to a Starbucks podcast rather than their favourite music, radio show, audiobook or whatever.

In this situation, I think a podcast was doomed to failure.

2:34 AM, October 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home