Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Friday, September 05, 2008

A Closed Shave.


You assumed I couldn't write another post about assumptions? This is the beautiful new hybrid razor or azor from King of Shaves that I recently picked up from their promotional bus. It's a company seeking to shake up a category and, as I am already a great fan of their shaving oil, I was intrigued to see if their promise that one could Shave Close, Longer, For Less would stand up.

It did, but sadly it would force me to have a goatee, because I found all those areas that a goatee and moustache cover quite impossible to shave. However, they're definitely onto something because shaving the rest of my face with long smooth strokes was a revelation. Fast, soft and incredibly close. I'm not sure if my experience is typical, but if I shaved my legs I know what razor I'd use.

If I'm right, I wonder if they'll start to think beyond their original assumptions and exploit another market in line with what the product does, rather than what they intended it to do. Many companies have done that in the past, but many more have floundered because they were too invested in their original plan.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark McGuinness said...

You assumed we assumed you couldn't write another post about assumptions?

Methinks you assume too much.

1:17 AM, September 06, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

assuming about assuming can make an ass out of u and mi. thanks for the azor comments, though - Which?, the consuner magazine have rated it really highly, glad you got to see our amAzor bus, best will king (founder, ceo)

2:12 AM, September 06, 2008  
Blogger john dodds said...

Thanks for the comment Will, my assertion about your assumptions was tongue in cheek in line with a week of post about assumptions and the danger of making them.

After shaving half my face I was a complete convert to the product and then, as I wrote, it just wouldn't work for me. Maybe it's the way I shave, maybe it's my face but I've never had that experience before and I did persevere for a week. Judging from your response, it's not a typical experience but how many people try a product, discard it and never tell the manufacturer why?

10:33 AM, September 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with a goatee John (although you saw how close shaven I have now become).

What's this thing like on your arse ?

11:31 AM, September 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home