Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

I Blog, You Blog, They Don't.

A very white middle-class panel discuss their interaction with technology over at Guy Kawasaki's blog. It's deeply unrepresentative in my opinion, but fascinating nonetheless (and the veotag video system is great).

One of my takeaways was the way the panel undermined the way blogs are counted in many surveys? All of them actively used Facebook or MySpace and yet none claimed to have a blog.


UPDATE: As I responded to Ann Michael's comment - a diary has many connotations and it seems to me that MySpace etc are generally used as social calendars rather than confessional diaries. That mean they're not blogs by my definition or more importantly in the users' estimation and thus I think the quantity of blogs has been overestimated because of this and many inert blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger ann michael said...

That makes absolutely no sense to me! How can you use Facebook and MySpace and say you don't have a blog.

Blog = Weblog

Is it on the web? Is it a log?

There you go.

10:03 AM, September 30, 2006  
Blogger john dodds said...

I think it does Ann, a diary has many connotations and it seems to me that MySpace etc are generally used as social calendars rather than confessional diaries. That mean they're not blogs by my definition and indeed i think the qunatity of blogs has been overestimated because of this and many inert blogs.

10:38 AM, September 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home