Make Marketing History

The views of a marketing deviant.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Attention Grabbing.

Last week I was encouraged to read that the annual meeting of the influential at Davos was hoping to be open to the public in terms of online access and participation. But the website is overwhelming and unwelcoming. I don't think I'm alone in that - note the paucity of comments/conversation in the sidebar.

It just goes to show that there's much more to facilitating a conversation than saying you'd like one to happen, heck anyone whose been in a bar knows that. Again and again, I find myself coming back to the importance of provocative writing as the way to grab the attention of the time-poor viewer. The Davos site has a vast number of headlines on it and while they relate to potentially interesting subject areas, none of them grab at me. I want to be grabbed.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right. I'm fighting two or three battles like this with my clients.

The only Oscars article that jumped out was the the Helen Mirren v Judy Dench, entitled

Let The Dames Commence

1:49 AM, January 25, 2007  
Blogger john dodds said...

So true - years ago the New York Times annually produced an article about how much Oscars were worth based on hearsay and industry lore - this led to me actually doing a proper study of this (which confirmed the hunches to an amazing degree).It was the only Oscar article I ever read. Headlines are everything - that's why they're bigger!

9:53 AM, January 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home